Sunday, December 15, 2013

It's the Most Wonderful Time of the Year


I have the privilege of being a volunteer at The Telling Room, a writing center for children ages 6-18.  The people involved with this organization are special – every single one.  I am inspired to be in their presence whether I’m teaching a 4th grade visiting class, walking the streets of Portland with a summer camp group, or giving my corporate HR insights to the Board for the organization itself.

On Friday, 9:00 a.m., 10 degrees in Portland, I walked down Commercial Street to my committee meeting for Glitterati, The Telling Room’s annual auction/fund raising event coming up in March.  I had to leave the sidewalk for the street due to the staging three men had built on it.  Their mission – to put up more of the gorgeous half circle blue, green and white light artwork that sparkle on all the buildings along our brick façade waterfront.  Two men were on the sidewalk, looking upward and monitoring the ropes dangling down from the staging. 

I blew on my gloved hands as I passed; they were freezing cold.

All of a sudden, the third man, high up on the staging at the top of the building belted out in song:

It’s the most wonderful time of the year……


Laughing playfully down at his compadres on the sidewalk, he sang loud and proud.  I laughed out loud.  Early morning, freezing cold, men making our city look beautiful, being funny & playful.  

What a nice Friday morning…..

Photos:  Commercial Street, Portland, Maine