Wednesday, January 30, 2013

My Sons' Headlights


One of my most joyful sights is seeing, out of the corner of my eye, the headlights of either of my sons’ cars.  Whether pulling to the curb out front for one, or into the front corner of the driveway for the other, my heart lightens.  They’re home.  I love having them home; I love their company, their smiles, their conversation, their noise, their quiet.  

My days of joy are numbered.

My boys are very close to turning 22 and 18.  I won’t see those headlights pulling into my yard much longer after a day of work or school or an evening out.  After a road trip to Boston to see a concert, those headlights at 3:00 a.m. on a rainy night give me a sense of gratitude and happiness that is unequaled.  The back door slams, heavy feet pound up the stairs or run down the stairs, and there are no better sounds.  Joy.  I feel joyful and grateful each time they return….because I know I’m nearing its end.  

I never want to forget.