Saturday, July 16, 2011

Play


"The opposite of play is not work. It's depression." -- Brian Sutton-Smith


It is the season of play in Maine. For residents of other states, they may not understand that there is truly a season for play, a time for it, a time that it is a must. For people living in climates that are perpetually bright and sunny, there may be no distinction. It may be all play time...or no play time at all depending on the person, not the environment.

But, I think for people living in climates so dictated by dark/light and the weather, like us in New England, there is certainly a time for introversion and a time for extroversion. There is a time for work and a time for play. There is a time to hunker down and pull inward and then a time to throw your arms open wide and dance.

I find I get a little greedy in the summer, especially as I age, because I refuse to be inside on a sunny day. I will not be brought down or waste this precious time of light and warmth in places or with people that don't suit the karma of it. The sun seems to awaken and make some part of my DNA tingle inside and the river of my blood flowing through me seems to ramp up like white water, not the calm tidal pools that I experience in winter. My even keeled self becomes giddy.

And the most important thing I can do is go with it.

Happy summer! May you feel the rush of white water within you and connect with friends at get togethers, swim in the icy ocean, run soaked in sweat on a hot morning, smell the flowers, eat the fresh berries, and dance whenever you feel the urge!



*Source: Digh, Patti. Life is a Verb. Guilford, Connecticut: skirt! The Globe Pequot Press, 2008. Print. P. 29
www.lifeisaverb.net
www.pattidigh.com