Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Memorial Day


Memorial Day kicks off summer in Maine. We go from winter to summer now, it seems. What happened to spring-sixty-five-to-seventy-degree days with afternoon showers, green buds popping on trees, daffodils and tulips lasting more than a few days? Now it goes straight from high forties to eighty-five! We'll take it no matter. I promise I'm not complaining!

Summer to me means.....

friends & get togethers

Scarborough Beach and walking to Prouts Neck

icy ocean water and seaweed wrapping around my ankles

the smell of salt ocean air

sunshine sparkling on waves

charcoal cook outs at Two Lights State Park

clam cakes and fries at the Lobster Shack once per season

decks & barbecues

the smell of coconut oil

blue hydrangeas in a glass vase on my table

swimming, kayaking, tennis, walking, running (slowly)

camps on lake

outdoor fireplaces and lounging chairs

potato chips

watermelon & lots and lots of berries -- strawberries, blueberries, raspberries

...............Summer to me means....a-h-h-h-h

Photo: Echo Lake, Mount Desert Island