Saturday, July 31, 2010

Two Chairs



More often now, I see two chairs placed strategically in peoples' yards for relaxing, chatting, sipping iced tea, reading, and visiting. These chairs come in all shapes and sizes - new, brown wicker Pottery Barn chairs with brightly colored cushions; wooden or plastic Adirondacks stained natural or painted bright reds or greens or pastels of pale yellow or blue; old Victorian rod iron chairs with their paint chipping; simple white plastic chairs bought at Target. By strategically placed, I mean they're sometimes set far from the house and are facing the best view in the yard. If there is a small patch of garden, they may be facing it, or toward the sunset. If there is a small pond, they may be placed at the water's edge.

This trend is wonderful. I am enthusiastic that people are looking more toward ways to enjoy the simple pleasures. You don't need to live on the ocean or in an incredible house to have a beautiful view; your own yard's flowers and a full moon shining over your back lawn are beautiful.

My concern though is that the chairs I see are always empty. I never walk or run or drive by a garden with two chairs and see people sitting in them. Do I just miss the people? Do I just pass by at the wrong time? It's always my experience so I can't help but wonder if they're just part of the scenery, too, not the attempt at relaxation and an escape into nature. Are they, like the entire yards, just viewed from a kitchen window over a sink while clearing the supper dishes or from the living room sofa while watching T.V?

The chairs being placed outside may be step 1 in our process toward adding more peace and beauty to our days. Step 2 may come in time; we'll sit in them.
(photo: West Falmouth, Maine)