Monday, June 28, 2010

Favorite Books for Summer Reading



I’m not compelled to finish every book I pick up. Too many books, too little time to do that. I re-read some books. My favorite books are those which touch me deeply or resonate with something I am going through at that time. My favorites usually have vivid, rich characters I can understand, not necessarily like, but are three-dimensional and with whom I can identify. Here are some oldies and newbies - potential summer vacation reads. Enjoy!

Nonfiction
The Secret, Rhonda Byrne (audio book) 2008
On Writing, Stephen King 2000
Bella Tuscany, Frances Mayes 1999
The Artist’s Way, Julia Cameron (audio book) 1992

Fiction
The Help, Kathryn Stockett 2009
Water for Elephants, Sara Gruen 2006
The Twilight series, Stephenie Meyer 2005 (can't deny it!)
Beneath a Marble Sky, John Shors 2004
The Secret Life of Bees, Sue Monk Kidd 2002
The Divine Secrets of the YaYa Sisterhood, Rebecca Wells 1997
Where the Heart Is, Billie Letts 1995
The Shell Seekers, Rosamunde Pilcher 1987
The Prince of Tides, Pat Conroy 1986
The Bridge to Taribithia, Katherine Paterson 1977 (appropriate for middle schoolers)
Tuck Everlasting, Natalie Babbitt 1975 (appropriate for middle schoolers)
To Kill a Mockingbird, Harper Lee 1960

(photo: Camden, Maine)