Sunday, March 28, 2010

"These are a few of my favorite things...."






I hope these simple things give you as much pleasure as they give me.








· James Taylor songs

· blue hydrangeas and purple irises

· skinny cappuccino from Arabica, in my own Dansk porcelain mug (I'm trying to save the planet one coffee cup at a time.)

· buying bread at Standard Baking Company early on a sunny, Saturday morning

· reading and looking at the beautiful photos in the Barefoot Contessa cookbooks

· strawberries and blueberries, freshly picked

· weekend cooking -- planning our evening meals is a weekend highlight

· Two Lights State Park, in winter

· sunset from the dock on Mooselookmeguntic Lake, Rangeley

· the tip top of a ski mountain, in the dead of winter, crystalline tree branches, North Pole-like

· John Denver's Greatest Hits (Rocky Mountain High is my favorite all time song)

· O, The Oprah Magazine -- I read it cover to cover, last page written by Oprah first

· the Cliff Walk at Prouts Neck, Scarborough

· big orange pumpkins, the shape of Cinderella's coach

· Cooking Light magazine (before their "makeover" in 2009) -- inspires me to exercise, eat healthy and cook

· reading in my bed before going to sleep, candles burning, shades open to a full moon over the field or listening to rain gently hitting our sky lights

· Starbucks Javachip ice cream

· the sparkling ocean on a summer day, talcum powder sand under my toes

· The Food Network -- Barefoot Contessa and Giada deLaurentis

· a blazing fire at a beamed ski lodge or at a rustic camp on the lake

· Maine Home + Design magazine; aesthetically beautiful and lets me dream

· memories of Paris with my Danish college roommate - Baguettes, ham, French cheese, and green apples in a basket have never tasted as good as they did in the gardens of Versailles.

· sunshine

· Evergreen Cemetery early on a Sunday morning in January, no one there but me

· puddle boots

· apple picking at "The Brothers" orchard in Alfred (a.k.a. Giles Family Farm)

· the first snowfall of the season


(photo: Turks & Caicos)